Freelance Creative Director / Designer / Producer
September 1999 - Present
Clients include Capitol Records [Katy Perry - One Of The Boys],
VH1, VH1 Classic, Indelible TV, Showtime, E! Network, Lunchbox,
and DIY Network.
CURRENT: Design Director, Print + Digital
at The Tombras Group, Knoxville, TN.
As a member of the Tombras Team:
* I design and create advertising campaigns an donline media for Bristol Motor Speedway including the speedway’s print advertising, outdoor, and broadcast graphics and producing for TV spots. I also created the track’s landing-page web graphics, which I concepted as the go-to page for all of its branch websites. Working with the track has been one of the most exciting and fast-paced experiences of my career.
* I design outdoor media and website design for the University of Tennessee Football-Knoxville.
* I oversee designers and other art directors as well as After Effects and Flash artists and programmers to achieve our clients’ visions. I enjoy the collaborative effort.
Creative Director at Cityview Magazine
November 2007-November 2008
I handled all aspects of editorial and advertising placements as well
as direction and design of the monthly magazine’s layout and web presence, including conceptualizing, art directing, styling photoshoots, and management of staff. The job required acute mental clarity to wend the publication’s complicated scenarios and to advise staff in a positive way. It was no small feat to create a 100-page monthly magazine on virtually no budget. The magazine was re-branded which included the logo/masthead, typography for editorial, as well as the look of the photography during my time there.
Art Director / Designer
Decades Rock Live TV series, VH1
Created show posters for Trump Taj Mahal (Atlantic City) lightboxes and outdoor advertising, stage graphics, and concert merchandise for Decades Rock Live, which pairs legendary musicians with today’s hottest artists including The Doors, The Pretenders, Elvis Costello, Bonnie Raitt, Cyndi Lauper, Heart, Billie Joe from Green Day, Kings of Leon, Iggy Pop, Fiona Apple, among countless others. I repackaged the show DVD for sale at Borders Books.
Art Director / Designer at VH1 and VH1 Classic - NYC
February 2002-May 2005
* Concepted and created art at VH1, which included print advertising campaigns for several VH1 shows including They Shoot Divas Don’t They?, Lift Ticket to Ride, VH1 Divas, Big in 2004 and In Search of The Partridge Family. Designed magazine advertising for trade publications and consumer magazines such as Rolling Stone and TV Guide. Created design style and managed follow-through of outdoor advertising for those shows including management of design and production of the supporting projects. I also designed TV show packages and logo designs for those shows. I won awards for these show packages: Creativity 33 Awards Competition [The Creativity 33 Annual published summer 2004]: VH1 50 Greatest Hip Hop Artist CD--Package Design--gold--[idea and concept], VH1 Divas Las Vegas--Show Openings, IDs/Titles. 2004 BDA Awards: VH1 Divas--Total Package Design, Topical, On-Air and Print Combination, Divas Ad--Total Package Design, Topical Print. Award-winning projects for VH1 Classic include Creativity 33 Awards Competition : VH1 Classic Trading Cards--Direct Mail, Single Unit; VH1 Classic T-shirt--T-shirts, caps,clothing. 2004 BDA Awards: Classic Studio Invite for Journey, REO Speedwagon and Styx--Print, Folded Piece, VH1 Classic CardsPackage--Design, Promotional Items. *Worked as art director of the VH1 and VH1 Classic brands precisely on deadline, created strategic execution of massive advertising and outdoor media campaigns and promotional items for marketing and radio. My creative department composed high-end art, for print- and swag-oriented promotion and advertising. Art-directed and produced photoshoots and managed additional external crews and production of the projects. Directly accountable for producing film/digital photography that built VH1 as a new brand tha brought about a new awareness of the channel as a pop culture–oriented channel. I am adept at researching photographers, designers, and illustrators to help me produce topnotch concepts. I was responsible for forecasting photographic needs, developing creative photo plans, establishing budgets and schedules communication of brand strategies, and ensuring all photoshoots were executed effectively, meeting creative expectations and budgetary boundaries.
Freelance Designer and Vector Illustrator at ESPN the Magazine - NYC
December 2001-February 2002
Designed vector illustrations for feature spreads. I also designed custom logos for the magazine’s 2002 Olympic Winter Games features and sections.
Art Director / Designer at Atlantic Records - NYC
November 2000- November 2001
Creative design and photo direction of album artwork for The Meat Puppets, Sunshine Anderson, The Harry Potter Soundtrack, The Cult, Led Zepplin and design on countless singles, marketing strategies, POP, and advertising for all bands/artists on Atlantic Records.
Associate Art Director at Alternative Press Magazine
May 1996- October 1999
Worked full time as associate art director and web designer at A.P., a magazine devoted to new music and pop culture in Cleveland, Ohio. Designed monthly features, sections, record reviews, and two covers. Was used often as a spokesperson for the magazine. I commissioned Derek Hess and Rob Zombie to draw hands for the record reviews rating system.
The University of Tennessee, Spring ‘94. BFA in Graphic Design; minor in Architecture. GPA 3.8
Software: master of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign. Some After Effects.
Budgeting / Forecasting • Packaging • Creative Direction • Brand Management • Team Leadership & Development • Storyboards • Photo Shoot Production • Interpersonal Skills • Project Management Resourceful Vendor Relations • Cross-Functional Collaboration • Cost Control • Creative-Business Alignment • Strategic Planning • Visual Identity • Print Production • Product Development • Process Improvements • Business Turnarounds • Merchandising • Problem Solving
* Creative direction, interactive direction and design, creation of advertising, package design, and logo design that evoke style no matter what arena. Understanding the audience who will see my work or my team’s work.
• Excellent management, communication, and organizational skills coupled with undeniable design and typography skills.
* Extremely capable of styling a brand in a consistent way or take it in a new direction completely.
* Logo and tune-ins design or direction of design for shows communicating a clear vision of how it will animate on-air and integrate into an off-air campaign.
* Creative conceptualizing and direction of photoshoots for on and
* Involved in developing the latest VH1 logo working with the team to submit comps internally.
* Creatively took the reigns with VH1 Classic and concepted photoshoots and promotional items to promote the brand.
* Able to guide colleagues from interns to designers to art directors, and help them execute their design solutions from a highly aesthetic approach and support them with advice that they can use ultimately own the idea.
* Able to work in many different mediums, from creative TV spots and interactive work as well as print.
* As a musician, there is a sense of rhythm and flow to the way I work, that is light on the stress but heavy visuals and on the creative strategy.